Monday, November 19, 2007

Photography


Since I love photography, make my living as a photographer and everything in the world is divided to me into two categories: photogenic and unphotogenic, I will be talking a lot about photography on this blog.

I am quite impressed with the quality of photography in Anthropologie catalogs. The pictures in these catalogs are not only intended to make the clothes appear attractive the way most catalogs do. The images work together in weaving a story, evoking a sense of nostalgia of a time and a place we haven't actually experienced (Anthropologieville?). Usually each section of the catalog depicts only one model, making her the main character in the story. The lighting effects such as over and underexposure, sun flare, etc. lend an artful quality to the images.

With a few scary exceptions, I like the models that appear in Anthropologie catalogs. Mostly because they resemble real people (just slightly more attractive) as apposed to genetically produced and enhanced mannequins. They float through the pages of the catalogs with dreamy expressions on their faces, wearing off their perfect Anthropologie wedges on the cobblestones of European towns.

Ahh, sometimes I wonder why an experience of buying an Anthropologie skirt doesn't instantly transport me to an artsy village (Is artsy village an oxymoron?) somewhere over the rainbow, so that I can walk hand in hand with a gorgeous shepherd boy and eat cheese off a golden platter, but that's a whole other blog entry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE Anthropologie's catalogues, too! Incredible photography.

Great blog!

-FH

Chelsea Patricia said...

I just got my October issue in today--will I ever purchase one of the ridiculously priced items? Probably not. But I will go over each issue multiple times, simply dazed by the art presented in every page.

I would order framed storyboard prints if they sold them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails